Monday, October 26, 2009

New planks going in, and fiberglass work... plus aerial pictures.

Planks going on...
Small pile of saw dust... 12 44 gallon trash cans full.
New marine grade plywood.
Plywood going on over new planks.


2 Layers of fiberglass over new plywood... "From a distance..."More Fiberglass... White stripes are microballoon filler.




Glass microballoons, Awl fair and getting ready for paint.


Thursday, September 10, 2009

Building a new transom and replanking the starboard side.




Transom = 2 layers laminated on, 3rd layer dry fit.

One Bulkhead frame replaced, plywood and noise insulation haven't yet been installed.

Fun stuff all in all, nothing quite like having things starting to go back together rather than just demolition.

Zach

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rotten wood! Destruction pictures...



Yes, that is a 4x8 sheet of plywood...



Found some rotten wood along the transom, and decided to rebuild it from scratch. Found a little rotten plywood sheathing on the hull 6 inches below the rub rail... Then found that the plywood was damp down to just above the waterline...

Then found that she had a few planks on the starboard side that needed to be replaced. When the planks came off, I found that the outer layer of a few of her frames was not solid. So... she's getting new frames in the engine room.

When they built her Wheeler used rather large silicon bronze screws, for the 2 inch wide 1 inch thick white oak strips that are laminated together making up her frames. A lot of them cracked along the screws and rotted down the middle. This is the last of the originals... New frames in the lazarette, behind the water tanks... New frames in the state rooms and up in the bow...

Kind of interesting, as these are solid on each side for a good 3/8ths of an inch, a gracious plenty to stab at with a knife or whack with a hammer and have them appear to be solid.

Bummer, but the progress must go on.

Yup, the stern thruster is back off... interesting, as it had good planks extending around it for about a foot in all directions, but the rest were bad.

Zach

I thought "Los Angeles" was a cool place to have as a hailing port, considering she is now in North Carolina!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bow thruster.









Today was the day...

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hauling out.


Noel is back out of the water.

Reworking the rub rails, and installing bow and stern thrusters.

Ignore the small pile of plywood. (Grin) It is the last of a few dozen. The Navy blue line is the boot stripe. The light blue line is bottom paint. The dark stuff, is goo from the sea of being in the water for a year and a half getting worked on... and not going off to see the world.

Yup... 83 foot boat, sitting 18 inches high in the water. I'm not sure how many pounds it takes to sink her an inch.

Zach

Friday, May 8, 2009

New and improved style.


The last few months have been monotonous work of cleaning, painting and rebuilding things that don't photograph well. Tight spaces, and the minutia of the details involved in removing runs of wire, and figuring out how it was done and how to improve.

The davits on the stern came off (the candy cane shaped bits used to pick up dinghys to set on deck) as they were rusted out. When they came off, we found more rotten wood in the bulwarks along the aft deck, the roof overhead.

The rest of the bulwarks on the boat have been repaired. The bow is brand new, where as the side decks inner plywood skin has been replaced and fiberglassed over. (Set the circular saw to the depth of the plywood and walk it down the length... fun stuff, makes a big mess!)

Since the roof is rotten where the davits were bolted on, I've been contemplating adding some style to her lines. Noel has a lot of character, but she doesn't have much that defines her as a yacht... other than the lack of outriggers and other things you'd find on a working boat.





I traced out the photo right off the screen to keep the scale. I pulled some measurements off Noel and I used a set of dividers, to work out the the scale of the photo was roughly 1/2 inch per foot.

From there I took a pine batten (ripped from a 2x4) and positioned it 75 degrees to the deck like the other vertical accents to give a visual representation of where the roof would stop.


One of the troubles with Noel, is her entire roof empties off of the two aft corners. The rear accent has a nice rounded bull nose on it, so in a decent downpour the water curves back towards the boat and pours on the deck.

I'm working on a few gutters, and decent camber for the new roof line so the water goes overboard without splashing someone who might want to sit out and watch the storm.

Zach