Saturday, April 24, 2010

April 24 2010




This update shows the stage of the starboard side decks and cabin wall. Fiberglassed and faired. We are using Awlgrips Awlfair for the pink stuff. In boat yard slang, it's been pinked!

The staircase went through another spraying of Awlquick (a sprayable fairing compound) and some spot filling minor imperfections.

Sanding, sanding, sanding... It takes a lot of sand paper to build a boat.


Friday, April 23, 2010

April 23 2010














We added a hanging locker, and a chest of drawers to the guest stateroom, and are continuing to work with the interior design to end up with the best utilization of space possible.

The staircase is in primer. It has been Awl Faired, Awl Quicked, sprayed in 545 primer, and now has a coat of sprayable fairing compound on it. It's turned out to be a surprisingly large surface. Lots of time has been spent long boarding to

The starboard side had a leak in the rain a few weeks ago, so we pulled up the plywood and glass off the deck, cut off the bulwarks off and stripped the plywood off the walls.

New 1/2 inch marine grade plywood went back down, on top of a few new boards. We used west systems epoxy thickened with cabosil to glue the new in place.

Once the deck was in place, we stood up new walls of 1/2 inch marine grade plywood, epoxy coating the back side and edges. With the boat water tight once more, we focused on the toe rail.

Using the cleanest kiln dried #1 2x6's we scribed the curve of the hull, and cut them down to 4 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches tall. They are epoxied in place, with 3 inch screws peppered through out.

With that done, the top edge of the rub rail was ground down, smoothing out the intersection between toe rail and rub rail for the new glass.

We glassed the deck, up and over the toe rail all in one shot. This was made a bit easier by the 1.5 inch radius on the corners of the toe rail.

As of yesterday, the cabin wall is glassed as well with a layer of microballoons fairing out the surface.

Now the sanding begins!

Zach

Sunday, April 4, 2010

April 4 2010





We had some water leaking on the starboard side of the master stateroom... So the side decks came up. The decks were sheathed in a layer of 1/2 inch plywood, with a layer of fiberglass on top. The deck had been glassed from rub rail to rub rail before the house was built on her.

The rotten plywood extended under the bulwarks, so we pulled them off. In the 80's when she was redone last, they put a layer of tar on top of the original decks along with a layer of tar paper before the plywood went on. This is a low tech way of keeping water from getting to underlying substrate... but in the age of epoxy, is obsolete.

So... Lots of scraping took place this week. In places it was a 1/2 inch thick. We used 1 inch wide chisels, a propane torch to warm the tar, and 16 grit hard paper grinding discs on a 7 inch grinder.

The bulwarks came of with an electric chainsaw, and a series of wooden wedges.

We replaced the outermost deck board, which was soft. After that several gallons of epoxy was mixed with cabosil, spread out and the new 1/2 inch marine grade plywood plopped down and screwed in place.

The bottom foot of the exterior wall was patched in her past, and had rotted again... thus explaining why the wall of her cabin sides is missing in the picures. We added a window and moved the starboard door frame aft to center it with the windows... so it made sense to pull the plywood and start fresh.

We will go back with a toe rail matching the stern deck, and weld up a hand rail instead of going back with a bulwark along her sides.

In other news, the stairs were in. We finished putting the round in place and have glassed the walls with 1208 biax to keep the seams from ever showing. We pulled microballoons, and have been doing some experimenting with other fillers besides Awlgrips Awlfair, the stair case was pulled in grey Alexseal... Since we are going to be painting her white, a color other than red, is easier to cover makes for less work when it comes time to prime.

The guest staterooms sink vanity has been glassed and faired, waiting final sanding.

The guest state room bulkhead was set in place, defining the doorway. Holes were cut for lights in the ceiling. The queen sized guest bunk is back apart, awaiting a quote for the stainless sheet so I can weld up some water tanks.

The pilot berth is built and glued in place. All that is left to rough in forward of the stairs is the dresser to service the state room.

That's all for now,

Zach