Friday, April 23, 2010

April 23 2010














We added a hanging locker, and a chest of drawers to the guest stateroom, and are continuing to work with the interior design to end up with the best utilization of space possible.

The staircase is in primer. It has been Awl Faired, Awl Quicked, sprayed in 545 primer, and now has a coat of sprayable fairing compound on it. It's turned out to be a surprisingly large surface. Lots of time has been spent long boarding to

The starboard side had a leak in the rain a few weeks ago, so we pulled up the plywood and glass off the deck, cut off the bulwarks off and stripped the plywood off the walls.

New 1/2 inch marine grade plywood went back down, on top of a few new boards. We used west systems epoxy thickened with cabosil to glue the new in place.

Once the deck was in place, we stood up new walls of 1/2 inch marine grade plywood, epoxy coating the back side and edges. With the boat water tight once more, we focused on the toe rail.

Using the cleanest kiln dried #1 2x6's we scribed the curve of the hull, and cut them down to 4 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches tall. They are epoxied in place, with 3 inch screws peppered through out.

With that done, the top edge of the rub rail was ground down, smoothing out the intersection between toe rail and rub rail for the new glass.

We glassed the deck, up and over the toe rail all in one shot. This was made a bit easier by the 1.5 inch radius on the corners of the toe rail.

As of yesterday, the cabin wall is glassed as well with a layer of microballoons fairing out the surface.

Now the sanding begins!

Zach

No comments: