Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 24, 2010







We put in the deck beams today, with the exception of the one that is crooked at the back... As there is a bit of repair needed at that location.

The beams are pretty close to fair as they sit, the forward two are wedged partially under the sides of the deck, and will require a bit of shimming to bring them up to the line of the rest of the deck.


The work we are doing over the tank room is going back together with #1 treated kiln dried deck boards, which we have ripped the radius off each side allowing for a tighter fit. The original decking was 1 1/8th red fir, the salt treated boards are southern yellow pine. On top of that, we will epoxy a layer of 1/2 inch marine grade plywood, staggering the seams. Once that is down, we will fiberglass two layers of 1708 biaxial glass cloth over the top... then fair it smooth and prime for paint.

Zach


Monday, November 22, 2010

November 22, 2010

Last friday we had a crane come by to set the new fuel tanks and generator in place on board Noel.

We finished cutting out the side decks along the length of the hole and started fitting the 11 new deck frames that are going in. We kept the toe rails, and an inch and an inch and a half of deck to the inside of them. We'll be blocking in between her deck beams from her plank out to the inside of the shear clamp to tie the new work to the old.

Noel's hull was framed on varying spacings from 10 inches to 14 inches, so her deck frames set in front of each of those frames. On account that half the frames have been sistered and are offset from where they started out life... we are putting the deck beams in on 12 inch spacing to make things a bit easier.

We went ahead and cut out the old bulkhead at the lazarette, as it was a patch work quilt of repairs... So the new one will be hung in place on the new deck beam, and we will be laminating a new set of frames for it to tie into the hull. These will be strips of wood 2 1/4 wide and 9/16ths thick in order to conform to the shape of the hull, we then take epoxy and lay the next strip in place screwing it to the first, and continue to the desired thickness, this is generally three inches, from there we scribe blocking to fit in the harshest part of the radius. We then stand up studs, and stud out the inside of the bulkhead. In this case, a true 2 by 2 1/4 on 12 inch centers. The plywood face is then fit into the hull, and epoxied in place. With the deck off, you scribe the bottom plywood sheet to the hull, then scribe the top sheet to the hull. We then mark the top as it lays against the deck beam, cutting it close and then rolling a router with a flush trim bit right across the top.

No pictures at this point, forgot to grab the camera!

Zach



Sunday, November 14, 2010

A cockpit? Drawing of some recent ponderings...


Last night we laminated 5 of the 7 deck beams required for the tank room out of douglas fir. 2 1/4 wide by 3 inches tall and 16 feet long. Being that the availability of 16 foot 4x10's is scarce, we had to stray from our normal method of sawn deck beams on the band saw. So, we made a mold out of two 2x10's cut to the curve of her deck and skinned it in plywood. I spent the morning sanding and ripping 3/4 inch thick douglas fir into strips... then we bent them over the mold and and screwed, glued them with epoxy and cabosil and clamped everything in place.

With the back deck cleared off, Noel is crying out for a cockpit... Certainly a different side profile possibility!

Zach

Friday, November 12, 2010

November 12, 2010





A ballad of destruction has been sung this week... Chain saws, sawzalls, and really big skill saws have been put to work. Given rest breaks, when the 5 foot long pry bars and splitting mauls came into play.

The back of the cabin is moving forward 8 feet 6 inches, essentially one window spacing. The ceiling had to move out of the way in order for the crane to be able to drop the fuel tanks in place. With the white Awlgrip paint job on the tanks we didn't want to man handle them into place with come alongs and pry bars like we pulled the old steel tanks out.

We added plywood knees to the sawn frames under the fuel tanks which takes a surprising amount of time to fit and epoxy in place.

While we were down there, we squared, leveled and adjusted the sole (walking surface) of the lazarette and tank room so that it was all one level to make it a smooth surface to roll around the new generator.

Back to the big hole in the deck...

The back deck had been 9 feet deep from the back door to the transom. This will be stepped up to 17 feet, allowing room for outdoor sitting and cooking areas. I have always joked that Noel could sleep 12 in supreme comfort... but on the back deck 4 was to many for sundowners.

We are reworking 15 feet of the deck, from our new back deck to the start of the engine hatch. Noel has a hatch built into her above the engines, allowing for their removal. The trouble, is that on a 68 year old boat things start to sag and her deck as people cut hatches and deck over them a fair number of the deck beams were compromised over this 15 foot stretch. The lumps and bumps wouldn't iron out with fairing so we are putting in new beams and a new deck.

We'll also be replacing the lazarette bulkhead, as it stood proud of the rest of the beams and had to be cut in order for us to remove the deck.

The back wall you see in the pictures is temporary and much further forward than where it will be at completion.

All for now!

Zach