Monday, January 17, 2011

January 16th 2010

Since the last update we have been priming the lazarette and tank room getting ready to spray. We pulled paper and tape over anything we didn't want painted, and draped plastic around the engine room. The top coat is white Sherwin Williams Tile Clad, a two part epoxy paint that is hard wearing.

We installed the hinges on the battery boxes bored the holes for cables and ran the cables to the starters on the engines.

We plumbed in the fuel lines, and spent some time tracking down the stainless bits to work with the aluminum tanks. (Brass and aluminum don't play nice together!)

Along the way we spent some time getting tools back in order, cleaned up and new shelving to clean up our work area.

Pictures later!

Zach



Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 6th 2010






This week we finished putting the pad under the starboard side fuel tank, and slid the tank in place securing it with boards symmetrical to the port side.

We put in 2 new frames in the engine room on the starboard side and put the finishing touches on a repair to a port side knee.

The battery boxes are in final primer, the top lids and hinges are awaiting installation.

We had a break in the weather, a short warm spell that meant work on the bow toe rail started back up... We've been pulling weighted strings across the toe rail to get the tops in line to each other. We've been squaring the inside faces to the deck with blocks of wood, and using 4.5 inch grinders with 36 grit grinding disks. We've also made little plywood squares to see that the top is square to the sides. We've also wrapped long skinny battens of wood around the outside curve and pushing them to the inside to see if there are highs and lows in the curve.

Lastly, we've power planed the bow anchor platform flat, which accentuates the curve of the deck... seeing as Noel comes to a point quite quickly she doesn't appear to have any camber in her deck at the bow.

We'll be adding a layer or two of 3/4 plywood tapered out to nothing over the first 10-12 feet of the bow, to reduce the visual effect of how quickly it tapers down. There is a bit of an illusion that her bow runs down hill from 5 or 6 feet aft the stem, and we are going to lessen this...

This is called an extended sheer line. The sheer line is the curve where the deck meets the hull as seen in the side profile. Since the bow goes from 15 or so feet wide, to the stem which is about 6 inches wide at the face over the course of 20 feet, even a straight sheer with no curve running up hill 3/4 inch to 1 inch per foot looks like it runs down hill over the last 8 to 10 feet.

An extended sheer bumps this forward 8 to 10 feet of deck, in this case the toe rail as that is the visual element that defines the line on this boat... upwards greater than the 3/4 to 1 inch per foot. Basically raising where the deck, or toe rail hits the stem 3 or 4 inches beyond what a design plan, or side profile 2d drawing would show.

What this does is tricks your eye so it doesn't see the down hill slope. Look at some boats from a side view and it becomes quickly apparent which ones have a flat sheer, and which have an extended sheer. Since Noel has a bit of powder horn, where she quickly gains elevation in her deck around 25 feet aft the stem, (3 inches over 8 feet...) her sheer line already has some lumps and bumps that either need to be smoothed out or accentuated.

Zach









Sunday, January 2, 2011

January 1, 2011

Over the last week we put in place new clamp boards on the starboard side, mirroring the port sides repair. The two new clamps are made of 2x8 ripped to 5 3/4, about twenty feet long each. We reframed the starboard side last fall, which required the clamp boards to stay in place... lest we lose the shape of the hull. Now that the hull is strong, we could pull the clamps without her losing her shape... Not something that would work very well on a normal wood hull, but Noel has a layer of 1/2 inch marine grade plywood sheathing outside her planks holding things together.

We sanded and primed the transom, rudder table, and generator pedestal.

We put in 3 frames in the engine room, and repaired a cracked bent knee on the port side. Noel originally had steam bent white oak knees that joined her hull sides to the deck. Most of these were cut out when she was made a yacht originally... all that remain are those in her engine room.

We pulled the starboard fuel tank out into the walkway, and started padding up the stringers so the tank will drain to the last drop. We've started pulling together the valves and fittings to reconnect the fuel system.

We finished the last of the 8 beams for the roof overhang.

We spent part of Friday cleaning up shop, pulling out the wood scraps from the bilge and generally straightening and sharpening up the worn tools.

Next week the weather is supposed to warm up, so we are moving to the bow to put the finish work on the toe rail, and start our work on the roof overhang.

All for now,

Zach