Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6 2011








Down below in the state rooms we've been sanding primer and long boarding the wall panels that are bent to the curve of her hull. In some places we are still spot filling low spots, others are 220 grit. Theres a fair bit of surface area to sand, each round of grits takes an 8 hour day with a da sander.

The varying colors of primer, are just that... We did a marathon of grey 545, ultrabuild, and fairing compound. This filled all the pin holes and a lot of the minor imperfections on the smooth parts. It also works as a guide coat of where the highs and lows are as we fair. The pink, is Awlgrip Awlfair which fills low spots. Where you see wood tones are high spots that are epoxy coated.

We found a void in one wall... which meant cutting it out and grinding the excess.


Then a layer of fiberglass, with a layer of milled glass fiber on top to fair it in. On surfaces with a lot of curves, I like to add filler that is not soft, so that it grinds the same rate as the fiberglass patch it is covering. Otherwise you get a ripple around the edges where the sandpaper cuts the soft filler faster than the glass. This patch is about 1 foot square. I sanded it smooth with 80 grit on a DA, and blended the edges smoothly with the rest of the panel. It is slower to sand with 80 grit on rough shaping, but since the rest of the panel is 120 grit it made sense not to have to blend and prime to bring this patch up to finish of the rest from using 36 grit.

After it was sanded I mixed up some 407 west systems filler to fill the low spot in the middle with a batten come Monday. The blue around the edge is the tape under the epoxy that I used to mask off the edge.
We doubled up one bulkhead that had a pucker in it with a layer of 1/2 inch plywood, glued with epoxy, and epoxy coated. The doubling will help pull it back straight for the door opening, and give enough material to allow for some shaping with a power plane. I used the extra 407 fairing filler to cover the lows pulled in the panel by the screws we used to laminate it together, after the epoxy coat gelled. (Screws removed)



We finished re-working the round corner, and brought it and the wall we replaced up to 220 grit. It took a bit of planing and sanding over the course of the week. About a half hour a day of sanding, and a flow coat of epoxy resin each day gradually filled the imperfections and grain. 4 coats of epoxy and 1 skim coat of awlfair later... it is now ready for finish primer. (Cheapo camera... shows a bow in the middle that isn't there with a straight edge.)

No pictures: This week we sanded out the glue runs and drips on the underside of the new deck we installed a few months ago, and put a coat of paint on the underside of the deck. We also put another coat of paint on the hull sides, and bilges in the lazarette and engine room.

Before we rolled the paint, we did a deep clean of vacuuming and dusting, then masked off the bulkheads, which are ready for awlgrip 545 and sanded to 320. Our game plan was to seal any of the dust that had worked its self into the crannies of the boat that might be stirred up by spraying paint. Now we are waiting for the perfect day to spray the transom, rudder table, bulkheads, and battery boxes.

Outside we've been finishing the fairing in of the six fiberglass tubes we molded, and glassed in place to keep water leaks at the port lights from rotting out the hull. We affectionately call them the "portlight tubes."

Cheers,

Zach