Saturday, September 24, 2011

Noel September 2011













We've been working on the "lines" on the outside of the boat, that define her shape trying to make a big push before winter comes around.

With long wood strips called battens, that flex evenly in smooth fair natural curves we've gone around and sanded down high spots and applied putty to low spots.

We've sanded and shaped the port side of the hull, removing the lumps from her top sides from the boot stripe to the rub rail. We pulled strings, and assessed whether we would remove high spots or build out lows. We ground down the port corner of the transom, and a few high spots
under the rub rail line.

Since the hurricane rolled through, we have bow cleats installed temporarily we removed the outer stem. We had been using the stem to tie the boat up while we worked on her decks. A few years ago when we reframed the boat, we replaced the stem up to the rabbet (Boat terminology for the groove that the forward end of the planks fit in) frm the inside. The outer piece that is largely sacrificial in the event of running into something, was rotten.

We cut out the bad wood, and continued down to the top of her boot stripe. We ran into the old bronze ice sheathing they put on these boats at the waterline. 1/4 inch plate bronze wrapped around a half round of bronze... on top of a piece of 1/2 inch stainless bar.

We laminated three layers of 2 inch thick mahogany on to the pine stem we installed a few years ago, building out a fair curve as viewed in side profile, and tapering it so it narrows at the front.
After the stem was shaped, we epoxied 3/4 marine plywood to each side, rounded the edges and fiberglassed it with 4 layers of 1708 biaxial glass and epoxy.

We pulled out the swim platform and sanded it down, faired it and readied for primer.
On the starboard side we have replaced the roof edge banding, and the toe rail running around the roof. We've been working with battens and sighting down it and sanding to perfection. All the while we've been working the highs and lows out as it makes a 60 foot long curve following the hull of the boat. On the underside, we've rounded it over, with a router and a lot of sanding.
We removed the fiberglass from the front of the cabin, and sides, and have been making strides to blend the flat sides into the round cabin front.

No comments: