Monday, November 14, 2011

March 2012

Since the last update:
We completed the priming of the shower stalls, both of them sanded out to 320 grit and ready for topcoat.

We found some things that needed attention in the chain locker, and scarfed in new wood on the bulkhead frame, and epoxied 3/4 plywood to the face of each clamp board.

We fitted the breast piece behind the new stem, and readied the port toe rail for fiberglass.

In the lazarette, we built a pedestal for the generator to sit on, mounted the electrical panel, and power selector switch for the shore power.

We faired the exterior walls of the cabin, and have them in primer, along with the stern deck.
We also faired the staircase going forward to the sleeping quarters, and have it in primer.
All walls in the sleeping quarters have been sanded out and are ready for a fresh coat of paint.

We pulled in a surveyor to look over our work, and found the steel engine bedding needed repair. We have been going frame by frame and floor by floor stripping in douglass fir under the steel on the port side. These are 13 foot long strips, 2 1/4 wide by 1/4 thick. It takes 10 layers to build up the thickness of each frame. 19 frames, 19 floor timbers and a bulkhead.

We are screw laminating the strips together, meaning each one is keyed in to the keel and up under the sheer clamp (where the hull and deck meet) and aligned to each other, pre-drilled for screws, taken back apart and glued, put back together so all index marks line up and screws applied. Between two and four layers are installed at a time, the forward end of the engine room has a larger radius than the aft end.

The next day the screws are removed, the strip is acetone wiped and sanded and the next bundle readied to go on top.

The floors and frames directly under the engines need to be replaced, and to do that the engines have to be moved. We are replacing the floors ahead of them and will replace the steel stringers and build a set of skids to slide the engines forward on to the new work. Then once they are forward, we will begin the repair of the area directly below the engines.

In order to do this, we had to take the aft skin of plywood off of the forward engine room bulkhead to put in some substantial blocking for a winch. The tool boxes and work bench have been moved for now.

We removed the sea-strainers to access some rusted metal under them. Directly beside them we removed the support columns right above the shaft alley from the aft end of the engine room to replace the floor timbers under them. We had to replace the frames beside those floor timbers, first, in order to have something to press against with 3 column jacks to take the weight off the support posts.