Thursday, April 19, 2012

Staging and a new brow





We've been working on the lines on the top of the cabin. Not exactly the easiest thing to do while floating, as the ends of each frame need to be the same angle, plumb, in a world that rocks and rolls.

We built staging and walk boards to go down the length of the boat, wrapping around the front of the cabin, hanging out over the water. To say it looks a bit odd, might be an understatement, but it works.

Once the lines were right to start going back together, we wrapped 1/2 inch plywood around the sides, leaving it wider than it needed to be scribing it to fit. Once that was epoxied in place we sanded it out until any wiggles were gone and the bevel remained constant the whole way around.

After that was in place, we used white PVC board to make the top toe rail, ripping it to size. We made it out of two layers laminated together. We started off by sawing the strips and screwing them together then ripping the bevel. Then the whole board was wrapped around the curve, and screwed in to place with the screws marked. We disassembled the layers, applied epoxy and screwed them back together, then screwed the assembly to the roof. It is always interesting to work with wet epoxy while trying to get things lined up, doubly so when its on plastic.

The bottom drip edge is made of the same white pvc board, cut 3/4 thick and rounded over with a router. This took a bit more work as the bevel of the underside of a curve does not remain the same as it arches up around the front of the cabin. It's a bit like trying to wrap a piece of paper around a basketball, flat things bent in to curves wrinkle up when trying to take shapes.

Once the drip edge was fit, we backed the screws out and used an acid brush to apply thickened epoxy, driving the screws back flush. These were backed out the next day, and the white pvc was sanded flush to the plywood.

This will all be fiberglassed in, faired out and primed while the staging is up.

We are still making progress in the engine room, the port side is finished aside from installing new clamp boards. The starboard side is coming together nicely, scarfing the side frames that we installed while replanking from the waterline up, in with new laminated frames from the waterline down to the keel. We are replacing the floor timbers, with douglass fir laminated like a bread board out of 2 1/8th wide, 1 1/2 inch thick boards. All this work is being entombed in epoxy, and should be around for awhile... It is slow going, as the round chine of the hull demands each strip be 3/16th to 1/4 inch thick. The holes for the screws are predrilled, before the glue is applied, the stack taking apart, glue applied and put back in place. Each frame takes between 8 and 10 strips. There are 20 frames on each side, and 20 floors.


Next topics to be addressed: Fiberglassing the toe rail on the port side, and painting the hull.

Zach