Sunday, March 16, 2014

Out of Sequence...


It has come to my attention, that this blog has been neglected.

 Last Fall:

We built a raised area in the pilot house, and hung bead board under the front windows, and built a helm station.
Jim Bircher built an adapter for us to go from the diameter of the wooden wheels hub, to the hydraulic steering pump.  We wanted everything strong, so it has a shoulder and pillow block bearing support with a variety of shaft collars.  Steering stations shouldn't move. http://bircherinc.com/

 












Sanding work continues...

We are now to the putty stage.  When working in the timber stage, pictures don't really show that anything happens until the fiberglass goes on.  With putty and paint, everything looks like things happen faster.

The Pink stuff is Awlgrip Awlfair.  It is an epoxy based fairing filler, that will hide the weave of the fiberglass cloth.  The plan is to take it to 80 grit finish, let everything sit for 2 weeks and then paint with Interlux Bilgecote.  It is a polyester enamel that is designed and intended for engine rooms and bilges.  It doesn't always like fresh epoxy... hence the waiting period.  We'll then slide the engines back into place and fiberglass the runners where they are sitting, and blend everything together. 

  The two engines that are still in the engine room with us while the work is going on. 






Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March 2014

Februrary was a rough month to do much...  Snow storm after snow storm, and for some reason every one hit during the work week.  We've had some electrical issues and lost one leg of our 240 on the dock as well... minor set backs, but progress goes on. 

We finished building the engine bedding up to its full size, fiberglassed, sanded, and begun applying fairing putty.  What you don't see are the 60 1/2 inch stainless allthread rods through bolted inside every other frame bay.  The polka-dots on the top surface show their location.  We had to laminate this whole area without the use of screws, on account of the angle required to be cut to receive the engines.  Pictures before fiberglassing are on the other camera...  Soon!  I wanted to capture this stage, before everything is slick and shiny. 

This is what 1200 board feet of Douglass fir, and 15 gallons of epoxy looks like.  We will finish painting the engine bedding, move the engines back in their position and then do the same work to the area they are currently setting.  The salt treated 6x6's they are sitting on will be removed.  The glass overlays them. 

I left the bucket in place, to show scale... It's a gallon and a half bucket.  I kid... it is a 5 gallon. The engine bedding is made of full width 2x6's laminated one after the next 14 inches tall at the thickest and tabbed into the floor timbers as well as bulkheads.  It is 20 feet from where I am standing to the second bulkhead (wall) you see. 

We widened the opening, so that we can pull the fuel tanks forward.  The tanks are sitting in the position that the 1960's vintage were when we replaced them.  We ran the figures.  The center of gravity of the boat is 7 feet ahead of the engines.  The original tanks from 1942 were forward of the engine room bulkhead, in what is now the master stateroom.  The closer to her C.G. we can get the fuel tanks, the more she will take the weight without rotating her stern down.  The thought process:  The more parallel we can keep the waterline to the bottom of the boat, the lower the skin friction will be... the lower the fuel burn!    Strange world where the location of your fuel tanks impacts your fuel economy. 

Zach